Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Win!

I spent yesterday fighting some dumb cold with all my might, and it appears that I have won! Several cups of airborne and cloves of raw garlic later, I feel fine today. It was touch and go for awhile yesterday, with a sore throat and general achy-ness, but today (so far, anyway) I feel none of that!
After consuming a clove of raw garlic Monday night by popping it in my mouth and chewing it up, I realized that that was not the best way to do it. So yesterday, I used a garlic press to mince a clove into the bottom of a shot glass and then topped it off with tomato juice: 
Dan's reaction: "Oh my god, you're so crazy. I'm taking a picture of this. "

It was down the hatch in no time (hey, my younger days of heavy drinking paid off in the end!) and besides the delicious lingering garlic breath, it was much less disgusting. One clove in the morning and one at night, and I'm seriously as good as new. 
I spent yesterday laying pretty low, because I've learned that pretending not to be sick doesn't make it go away. Despite this, I was still able to get a ton done around the house, including cleaning, making a loaf of bread, making a curried lentil soup, and then making tortillas from scratch (because I forgot to write that on my grocery list and was not venturing out in the snowstorm!). Let's talk about these tortillas for a minute:

They were so good, and really easy. They were a little fluffier than the ones you would buy in the store, but it wasn't a bad thing. I used this recipe, and opted for the whole wheat variety. I will definitely not be buying store bought tortillas anymore. These were easy, seriously delicious, and had only 5 ingredients that I would always have on hand. 
I used the tortillas to make some veggie enchiladas that were unimpressive in the end, so I won't bother posting the recipe. Dan really liked them, but they were definitely missing something (don't you even dare think "meat!" because that's not what it was). Also, there wasn't enough sauce, so they were pretty dry. 
I didn't feel up to exercising yesterday, but today I was really excited to try out Jillian Michael's "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism"

This workout is different from 30 Day Shred in that it doesn't involve any weights, it's a bit slower paced, and it's twice as long. I was feeling a little nervous about doing such a long workout with Jillian Michaels (that woman is nuts!), but I really liked it! It was HARD. There are seven six-minute circuits, so it doesn't get boring at all. During the first circuit, I noticed Jillian was more chatty and took time to explain some of the moves, and coming from the 30 Day Shred you don't stop for a second mentality, I was like, "What are you doing, little buddy?" but even with the slower pace, it was intense. A lot of the moves from 30DS showed up, plus tons of new ones. I had to pause the DVD at one point to get a glass of water--that't how rough it was! 
The main problem I have with her workouts is that I'm above an old-lady hair salon, and I feel self-concious with all the jumping that is involved. I think they're often wondering what in tarnation is going on up here. So the plyo moves don't get my full effort because I'm trying to be quiet. Still, I feel like I got a really good workout and I will definitely be sore tomorrow. I worked up quite a sweat, and I even got kind of wheezy after awhile. I would definitely recommend this one! 
I downloaded two audio books that I really want to hear (one David Sedaris and one Laurie Notaro), so I'm waiting for all this dumb snow to stop so that I can go out on a run! This new only listen to audiobooks when I run idea was so genius. 
I'm off to make some tea and curl up on the couch with a book (a collection of short stories by Joyce Carol Oates) before working on my college application! 

No comments:

Post a Comment