Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Roasted Chicken, Three Ways

These days, I'm fancying myself quite a domestic wonder. I've been baking my own bread (after doing this for about 3 weeks, I'm not sure how I could ever go back to store bought bread, as homemade bread is so amazingly delicious), as I mentioned before, and as if that wasn't enough, I had a stroke of genius while making my latest grocery list. I purchased one roasted chicken from the deli, and proceeded to use it for three meals.

When I got my little chicken home, I removed all of the meat that easily came off (knowing that I'd be making chicken soup, I didn't try too hard). That night, I made this salad:

which contained the following ingredients:

spinach
cucumber
mushroom
roast chicken
clementine wedges
crasins
chopped peanuts (walnuts or almonds would have been better, but I had peanuts on hand)

I served it with a piece of my honey oat quick bread, of which I've now made four loaves.

I then set about making some delicious chicken noodle soup:


Here's how:

Get yourself:
The carcass from the roast chicken with most of the meat taken off for other recipes (don't stress too much about getting all the meat off, because what remains will fall off the bone and become the chunks of chicken in your soup)
2 cups of chopped carrots
2 cups of chopped celery
1 large chopped onion
Several cloves of garlic
Salt & Pepper
A healthy dose of parsley (dried or fresh)
Plus:
1 cup of flour
1 egg
1-2 Tbsp milk

Then:
1. Put the all the bones in a large stock pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so that the water is simmering, and walk away for 3-4 hours.
2. Strain the broth into another pot, and then allow the bones to cool slightly so that you can remove any remaining meat from them. Add this meat back into the broth, discard the bones.
3. Add the remaining ingredients (except the flour, egg, and milk) to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables begin to get soft, about an hour.
4. Towards the end of the hour, mix the flour, egg, and milk in a small bowl. Start with 1 Tbsp of milk and add more only if necessary to form the dough into a ball. When the ingredients are combined, pour the mixture onto a clean surface and knead it into a ball. Roll the dough out really thinly on a well floured surface in a shape that resembles a rectangle (keeping in mind the noodles will puff up when cooked), and cut into noodles with a pizza cutter.
5. Raise the heat so the soup comes to a rapid boil. Sprinkle the noodles into the soup, stirring so they don't stick together. Allow the noodles to cook until soft, about 30 minutes.

This soup is literally the best chicken noodle soup I've ever had (and I've made it from scratch differently in the past). I think it's the homemade noodles that really make it great. I've actually got another pot going for dinner tonight. What could be better on a snowy day like this??
Finally, I used the rest of the chicken in this stir fry last night, the recipe found on the Eating Well website:




The recipe calls for raw chicken, but I just threw my cooked chicken in at the end. I also made some variations. Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
1 lemon
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp flour
1 Tbsp canola oil
1.5 cup roast chicken (the meat that remained after using some in the salad)
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup carrots, sliced into coins
1 cup chopped peppers (I used green and red) 
1 cup snow peas, stems and strings removed
5 scallions, chopped, whites and greens divided 
Tons of garlic

Grate 1 tsp of lemon zest and set aside. Juice the lemon and mix 3 Tbsp of juice with the broth, soy sauce, and flour, and set aside. 

Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrots, and pepper, cook for about 5 minutes until carrots begin to get tender. Add peas, scallion whites, garlic, and lemon zest. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk the broth mixture and add to pan, cook until it thickens, about 3 minutes. Add scallion greens and chicken, and cook until the chicken is heated through, 2-3 minutes.

I served this with some soba noodles, and it was delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment