Thursday, January 6, 2011

Obligatory (Belated) New Year's Resolution Post

I don't normally make new year resolutions, but at the beginning of December, I spent several days considering what I need to do to be happier and laid out some goals to get me going. The goals all tied together into one super-resolution: to continue focusing on being as healthy as I can physically, mentally, and within my marriage. I think the key to not giving up on a resolution by January 2 is to create a plan. Here are the elements that will help me keep my resolution:



source
Continue to eat healthfully
This is actually not a huge challenge for me. As long as I sit down and plan my week's meals in advance and make sure not to buy crap such as chips or sugary cereals, I don't struggle with my food choices. The real challenge is making the grocery list before I realize we're out of food, but lately I've been really good about planning meals.
source
Exercise 4-5 times per week
The main challenge I've identified here is figuring out how to run when it gets really snowy. Inexplicably, we have almost no snow right now, but I know that won't last forever, so I really need to sit down and figure out how to run when it's not safe to do so in my own neighborhood. This will probably happen by my planning my runs in the afternoon, when I have a car and can drive into town where it will be safer. Also, I would like to get more exercise DVDs to keep my motivation and interest up when I don't feel like running.
source
Sleep!
My sleep habits are shameful. I often stay up really late and then sleep until 10, which is fine for some people but not how I feel at my best. My goal is to be asleep by 11 or no later than 12, and get up at 7 or 8 every morning.
Limit the interwebs
source
This is actually partially tied into my sleep habits. I tend to spend a lot of time aimlessly browsing the internet, especially once Dan goes to sleep and I get bored. Even during the day though, I have a hard time disconnecting. This is such a ridiculous time suck. I've gotten better about it since I first set these goals, and I've been reading like crazy, something I used to do but started to forgo in exchange for the quick fix of the internet. I still browse around the websites I like to keep up with, but force myself to put the computer down once I find myself searching for something, anything! to look at.
source
Become more organized
I'm pretty organized already, but I've been slipping. My main goal is to really push to keep our apartment neat and organized (which wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't married to Messy Messerson), which is currently happening. Once school starts again, I'd like to be better about not allowing myself distractions. I usually make a schedule for each day in the morning to avoid getting overwhelmed (breaking my work into 30 or 60 minute chunks) but I allow myself to do unimportant things like browse the internet too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment