Friday, January 21, 2011

Lacking Motivation

Today is my last true day of freedom before classes start again on Monday. I have mixed feelings--I haven't been working much over break, so I really appreciate the free time to get everything done that needs to get done around the house. I like having a clean apartment. Once I go back, it's going to be a struggle to find time to keep up with everything. On the other hand, I love school, and I'm always happy to be taking classes, so I'm looking forward to being back in that groove.
I am staring at the stack of school books for this semester with fear in my heart. I am taking two weird classes: Children's Lit and History of Rock Music. Say what?
Children's Lit will fulfill my final 200-level english requirement, but more importantly, it's taught by one of my favorite professors of all time (I had him for a class called Minority Voices last semester), which is why I signed up for it. I'm not particularly interested in reading young-adult books or anything, but he is so awesome, and this is most likely my last semester at ACC, so I couldn't pass it up. The downside is that there are twelve (TWELVE!) books required for the class. They are young-adult, and therefore most of them will be quick reads, but that's almost a book a week for that one class. Let me give you a visual of this ("The Cay" is hiding underneath "Stone Fox," that's why it looks like there's only 11):

Most of these books I can read in a night, but I foresee "The Book Thief," "Dough Boy" (written by the professor), and "Seth something or other's Love Manifesto" taking more time. I looked sadly at the stack of books I have to read next to my bed and said, "See you in May, buddies!" 
History of Rock Music came about because we expected to have a second car by now (we're waiting on an inheritance) and we don't, so I won't be able to make it up to Queensbury for the 2pm creative writing class I originally signed up for. I had to scramble to find another class, and most of them are full, so I was left with this as my only option. I don't think it will be terrible, but it's an online class which I'm dreading. I can't seem to get out of taking one online class each semester, and they're always so much more work than traditional classes. Anyway, the class will probably be pretty interesting despite my general inhuman disinterest in music. 
I stacked all of my books together to get an idea of what I'm in for this semester, and here's the damage:

If you're wondering what $500 will buy you in a school book store, you're looking at it. 


I have a lot of things to do today to make my life easier once school starts. I need to clean the house from top to bottom so that I don't have to worry about it next week (namely the office, which I have boycotted entering since school ended, and is a total disaster), I need to bake some bread (fingers crossed I still have time for this once I'm in class!), I need to finish my college application essays. I also need to go for a run, something I had almost given up on because of all the snow when I got up this morning, but now the snow has stopped and the sun is out. Hooray!
I've been up for three hours, but have yet to really do anything. Well, that's not exactly fair. I did get a "brisket" (I accidentally got a pot roast. Shiksa alert!) into the crock pot for dinner tonight. We're having a Jewish-fest of brisket, latkes, and matzo ball soup. More about that some other day (let's just say for now that Passover is too far away from Hanukkah).
And here I am, procrastinating further with this blog. I'd better wrap it up, but before I do, I just have to talk about the French baguette I made last night. We were having boring old pasta for dinner, and in the afternoon I wondered if it was hard to make a baguette. I found a pretty simple (but different than any other bread) recipe on the interweb, and gave it a try. As my dough was rising, I looked at other recipes that were much, much more complicated and was glad I'd found an easy one.
The result? So good! It didn't look much like a baguette when I pulled it out (it was kind of...squat. I should have rolled it out longer), but when I cut into it and took a bite...CRUNCH! It was so good. I used this recipe, following it exactly except that you need more flour than it calls for, which is obvious when you're trying to knead the bread. I don't know how much extra I put in, I just kept adding it until it was the consistency of bread, not goop.

What you see next to the bread is olive oil with a smashed garlic clove, dried parsley, and pepper to dip the bread in. SO GOOD. Oh my god. I was quite proud of myself about this concoction:

In order to eat white bread dipped in olive oil guilt free, Dan and I went for a walk and then I did 30 minutes of my new Jillian Michaels DVD. I was actually not that sore when I got up yesterday, but I really started feeling it when I was doing the DVD again. Yikes! I don't feel sore today, but I don't think I'm going to attempt the DVD for a couple of days. My run is going to be short and easy--I'm doing my old 1.5 mile route because it's the safest in these snowy conditions! 
Okay, okay, time to do stuff I need to do! 


No comments:

Post a Comment