Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dijon Mustard!

First of all, I'd like to mention that I decided to do 30 Day Shred level 3 tonight for some reason (math work is making me crazy, obviously) and it was crazy. It was so freeking hard. But awesome. I was honestly grunting and yelling throughout most of the workout. I am now shaking from head to toe, I assume because my muscles are afraid of what just happened to them. I have a feeling I won't be going for a run tomorrow.


So, anyway, I wonder if you thought I was joking when I said I was going to post a blog about dijon mustard later. NOPE! Let me preface by mentioning that I get on food kicks where I just want a particular food more than any human should. Thankfully, this is almost always something harmless (i.e., not chocolate). Most recently, it was pomegranates, in the past it's been broccoli, grapes, oranges...the list goes on and on. Right now it's dijon. So here are the ways I've been eating it:

1. Blackberry Dijon--the obsession begins

Excuse the weird photo--I stole it from eating well because I couldn't find my camera when I made it. I made their recipe for cornmeal crusted chicken with blackberry dijon sauce. The chicken wasn't good, but it was worth it to discover this amazing sauce. Here's their recipe:

1 Cup blackberries (you can also use raspberries, I'll be trying this soon)
1.5 Tbsp whole grain dijon mustard
2 tsp honey

Mash up the blackberries in a bowl. Add the mustard and honey and mix it up. This is amazing on chicken, turkey sandwiches, and as a salad dressing. And probably countless other ways--that's just all I've tried so far. I know it sounds like a weird combo, but it is incredible. 

2. Dijon on popcorn--I realize I have an obsession


I like air popped popcorn plain, but I thought it might be a good vehicle for getting my dijon kicks. Boy was I right. The cool thing is that you can make air popped popcorn without an air popper. Here's how:

What you'll need:
 3 Tbsp popcorn kernels
 Brown paper bag
 approx. 1 Tbsp dijon

Put the popcorn into the bag, fold it over a bunch of times so it stays shut. Pop for however long you would pop microwave popcorn, mine takes just under 2:30. Jut like microwave popcorn, just wait until the popping slows way down. While that's popping, put your dijon into a big bowl. I wouldn't use more than 1 Tbsp because you don't want your popcorn to be soggy. When the popcorn is ready, dump it in the bowl, put a lid or plate over it, and shake it up for awhile. Then mix it up with your hands to get the dijon totally evenly spread out. This part gets kind of messy, but once the popcorn is coated it's not messy any more. 

3. Dijon chicken- justifies using mustard on everything



I got this recipe from eating well, also. It was so delicious. You cook the chicken in a little tin-foil pouch, put dijon on top and carrots and leeks in with it, and it is soooo moist. I think it was the most moist chicken I've ever had. Here is the recipe. It's definitely worth a try, the taste of mustard is subtle. 

To be honest, I think I'm going to give dijon a rest for now. I wonder what my next food obsession will be?? 


No comments:

Post a Comment