Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Two Runs in Two Days

I would like to run 3-4 days a week, but I've only been managing two runs a week so far since getting back into running. Part of it is time constraints-I have a ton of homework this semester-but another part of it is lack of motivation. I really don't like running. I hope that someday I will, but it feels like a chore when I'm doing it. More often than not, I'm really grumpy for the duration of my run. I like the idea of going on a run, and I like how I feel after, but I don't like running. OKAY?? I DON'T LIKE RUNNING!! It's kind of boring--my neighborhood doesn't allow many options to switch up my route because I don't like running on the shoulder of high-traffic roads. So I run the same dumb route every time. 
Also I'm getting kind of discouraged because my lack of commitment has slowed my progress. I'm still just running for 15 minutes (1.5 miles) at a time and I don't feel ready to bump it up to 20 minutes yet. If I got my butt out there 3 or 4 times a week, surely I'd be making more progress. 
With all of that in mind, I'm off to a good start this week. I went out yesterday and today, and both runs were solid. Yesterday I did yoga after, which I love doing. Today I didn't have time because I had to finish some reading for class tonight, but I think I'll do it when I get home from class. 
One issue I'm having is foot pain. Obviously I need new running shoes, but I've been putting it off. Last week, the side of my foot hurt, this week the top of my other foot hurts. Waah!
In an effort to make sure to get enough exercise, I'm shopping around for an exercise DVD for days that I don't want to go on a run. I think I've settled on Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, because the fact that the workouts are only 20 minutes long appeals to me. I can definitely find time to squeeze in a 20 minute workout. I'm also keeping my eye out on craigslist for a cheap stationary bike or elliptical. I think that if I add some variety into my exercise plan, I will be much more likely to do it more often, which in terms of my overall mental health and grumpiness, is good for me and everyone around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment