Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day Three: Run Three

I ran today for the third day in a row. I don't know where the motivation came from; in fact, I motivated myself to finish my run yesterday with the thought of a rest day today. But then this morning came and the idea of running got into my head and wouldn't leave, so out I went. It was okay, but my legs were tired. I need to find a new route so that I can try out my next goal of running for 20 minutes because even though I have the best intentions of going past the apartment at the end of my loop, I just don't do it.
I have this guideline I made up for myself which I have snazzily named "3, 2, 1" and which I used to stick to much better. It's simply that I run at least 3 days a week, run no more than 2 days in a row, and take no more than 1 rest day in a row (barring injury, of course). I know the math doesn't add up for one week, I AM TAKING THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM COLLEGE MATH COURSE, SO I KNOW SOME STUFF! But it's just a good guideline when I'm feeling lazy (usually) or overzealous (rarely). So if I last ran on Monday and it's Wednesday, I remind myself that I'm not supposed to take more than one day off and I had better get my butt out there. And if it's Thursday and I ran Tuesday and Wednesday, I shouldn't go for a run because I need to rest my little legs (whoops).
After my run today, I did yoga (which I can't stop trying to sell as running's bff). I use Gaiam's 5 Day fit which I really do love. I got a free "The Firm" something or other in a beginner's yoga kit (which I got for the mat, block, and strap) which I really hate and only did once. Anyway, I usually do one of the routines on my 5 day fit DVD with Susan Deason, but I decided to mix it up today and did "AM Yoga for Peak Performance" with Rod Stryker. I didn't really like it that much and I even thought at one point, "This guy's a jerk!" He moves through the poses really quickly, and I'm pretty clumsy so before I fully get into one he is on to the next. Also, he dangled the dream of being finished when he had me do Savasana (the pose at the end when you lay on your back and breathe) BUT IT WASN'T OVER! What the what? I will try it a few more times before I completely give up on him, because once I know the order of the poses I may be able to keep up and then I will forgive him.

No comments:

Post a Comment