Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cranberry Chicken + Garlic Basil Green Beans

I cook almost every night, but Friday nights are the only nights I see my husband for more than 5 minutes, so I like to cook something a little fancy. Here's what I whipped up last Friday:

Cranberry Chicken

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Cup 100% cranberry juice
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 Cup water
2 teaspoons cornstarch or flour
Salt & Pepper
Oil

In a skillet, heat a little bit of oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and throw it on the pan, cooking each side a couple of minutes until brown. Remove from the pan.
Pour the cranberry juice and thyme into the pan and cook until juice is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Whisk together the water and cornstarch or flour and stir this into the cranberry reduction. Allow to thicken for about 30 seconds. Put the chicken back into the pan, flipping it to coat. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
YUM!

Along with this, I made:

Garlic Basil Green Beans

1.5 cups frozen green beans
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp basil
1 tsp olive oil

Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the green beans and cook until just before they are done, they should be crispy (if you forget that you are cooking the beans because you're also making chicken and trying to do the dishes all at once and therefore overcook them, it's not a huge deal, they'll just be a little mushy. But I wouldn't know anything about that...). Drain the beans, and in the pan heat the oil and garlic until it becomes fragrant. Throw the beans back in along with the basil, and cook for a minute or two until everything is all warm.

Along with these, I made some bulgar, which I'm kind of obsessed with right now. It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment