Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Potato Leek Soup



Here's my recipe for Potato Leek Soup. Okay, I admit it: this is an old post I stole from my other blog. BUT!! We are working our way through a giant pot of that that I made yesterday. YUM! Generally, potato leek soup has cream in it, but I use a different type of recipe because it's healthier. It's vegan if that's important to you! It's also super easy.
1 tbsp-ish oil
2 or more cloves of garlic (depending on how much you like garlic. You could leave the garlic out all together, I just like to put garlic in everything), minced
Bunch of leeks (2-3, I usually use 3)
1 onion, chopped
Pepper
3 large potatoes, cubed (but don't peel 'em, dummy-the skin is where all the nutrients are)
6-7 c veggie broth (or chicken if you want. I use Herb ox builon powder, which is sodium free, but still full of chemicals. I'm too lazy to make my own veggie stock.)
So, first you're going to want to deal with the leeks. Leeks are kind of like onions, but dirtier. You should cut most of the green part off, except for about 1-2 inches. Cut the root off the end. You now have a little cylinder. Cut this in half lengthwise get rid of the outer layer or two, then cut into thin slices so you have little half-circles. Fill a big bowl with cold water, and put the leeks in there, separating the layers. Swish them around and let them sit for a few minutes. Any dirt on them will sink to the bottom. Scoop the leeks out of the bowl and set aside.
Heat the oil in a stock pot. Add the garlic, and saute for a couple of minutes until it starts to brown. Add the onion, leeks, and pepper to taste. You could add some salt, too, if that's what you're into. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions and leeks become translucent. Then add your potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for, um, awhile, until the potatoes are soft. Let it cool to room temperature, and puree it in batches in a food processor or blender. When you're ready to eat it, just re-heat it in the stock pot. I like to eat this with yummy fresh bread.
See, easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment