Monday, September 20, 2010

Back to Running

I've been on a running hiatus for about 4 months now. My attempts to run have been continually foiled, and I just didn't have quite enough motivation to work out a solution. First it was just too hot, I got really dizzy despite drinking water all day before a run. I was working full time at the coffee shop, which means going to bed around 9 and getting up around 5, so I couldn't run at night after it had cooled off a bit and although I could have, I sure as hell wasn't going to get up at 4am to go on a run. I took 3 weeks off work around my wedding, so I was pumped to run at night during those three weeks, since I wouldn't have to get up early, but we were struck with a major heat wave and it didn't cool off at night.

I accepted that I wasn't going to be running during the summer and was anxiously awaiting my semester to start when the temperature would go down and I could run at night if necessary. The temperature did indeed cool significantly during the first week of classes, but I got hit with a nasty chest cold. AARRRGH! And I've had the damn thing for over 2 weeks at this point. WHY CAN'T I RUN???

Well, my cold is finally clearing up, and though I'm still coughing a lot, I decided that I wasn't going to wait any more. I set out on my first run in forever today, not knowing what to expect. When last I ran, I was comfortably running 2 miles (20 minutes) and was closing in on my next goal of running non stop for 30 minutes. This from the girl who couldn't run 30 seconds without a walking break in January. I wasn't sure that I would even be able to do a mile this time, just because of how long it's been. Thankfully, I was able to do the mile, and it wasn't bad! I didn't feel at all uncomfortable until about the 3/4 mile mark, when I thought, "Huh. I really wish THIS was a mile." But I kept going and made it to the mile. I thought about going farther, but my cough was really starting to act up, so I took a walking break. I alternated jogging and walking for about 1/4 of a mile, then I ran the last 1/4 mile home. I planned on stopping then, obviously, but I spotted Dan on his way back home from his run (he found out which route I was taking and took off in the opposite direction because he's a total snob and I don't run fast enough for him! HOW RUDE!) so I ran over to him and we finished up together. I then pretended to do stretches while he did serious stretches and push-ups and crunches.

I'm really happy that I got back out there, because I was feeling a little anxious that I would seriously suck. I did better then I thought I would, and now my expectations of myself are higher so I'm pretty confident that I'll be back to where I was in a couple of weeks.


  1. atta girl!!!! We are still on for First Night, are we not?? I'm running again too, so we should be at the same level come Dec 31st!

  2. Yes! We're going to win First Night!