Thursday, February 4, 2010

personal pep talk

Here is a list of why this semester sucks:

1) My US history to 1877 class. This is a class that I would not choose for myself if it wasn't required. I tried to get into US history 1877-present, which would have been mildly more interesting in my opinion, but it did not fit into my schedule. It would also be mildly more interesting if my professor wasn't awful. He's a jerk and he's boring and he wouldn't stop talking until 5 minutes after class was supposed to end. I'm not even sure if he was done, but most of the class took advantage of him pausing to get up and rush out of the room. I'm somewhat convinced that the stragglers are still there listening to him drone on. He's my arch nemesis.
2) Math 097. Remedial math. Doesn't count towards my degree. The fact that my placement test indicated that I would need this course didn't seem unusual to me, as I took my last math class in 11th grade. And the refresher is nice. Like when my teacher announces we're going to divide fractions, and I stare at him blankly, but then he explains it and it all comes rushing back to me and I realize I'm not a total idiot and I do know how to do math. I assumed that since we started with fractions, it was only going to get harder and there would be things down the line that I didn't know how to do. I stopped assuming that tonight when the lesson was about addition. And 7+2 stumped the dumb ass girl behind me. Tuesday we're learning about subtraction, division, and multiplication. I think I might be busy that night.
3) My schedule is weird and stressful. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do my...
4) Massive amounts of homework. Seriously, I had it so easy last semester, and even then I did homework 6 days a week. Two of my classes never had homework. This semester, I'm not taking any bullshit classes (such as college health. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be in such an easy class again), unless you count Math 097 as a bullshit class, which I kind of do, except there's a lot of homework involved. There is really no way around the reading for US history, I'm taking a writing about literature class which is a ton of work for obvious reasons, and this semester, I'm learning brand new things in Spanish class, making the homework much more challenging.

But listen, my glass is half full. I just finished my second week. Last semester went by really fast, so I'm hoping this semester does the same. And spring break is in like 5 or 6 weeks. I think it's going to be okay.
I think this uncharacteristic optimism is due to my new health and fitness endeavor. Since Saturday, I've run 4 times. I seriously didn't want to go today, I felt tired and lazy, but I did anyway. Each time I've gone out, I go a tiny bit faster. I'm not racing myself, I just keep trying to run a little more and walk a little less each time. Today I got to the alley where I had to stop and walk the last 3 times I went out, and I didn't need to stop, so I went a little further. I've done yoga every day since Sunday, which is doing wonders for my stress level.
Time to make a grocery list! My life is exciting!!

2 comments:

  1. which yoga dvd did you get? do you like it? I want to get back into yoga without paying for a yoga class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have two: "5 Day Fit Yoga" put out by the bendy people at Gaiam, and "The Firm something or other".
    I really like 5 day fit. There are 5 different yoga workouts, 2 for the morning, two for nighttime, and one for stress relief. I've done 3 or 4 different ones, and I really like them. I feel really relaxed after I finish.
    I got The Firm one in a beginners yoga kit,, and I do not like that one at all. I'm not doing yoga to lose weight, I'm doing it to stretch my constantly sore muscles and relieve my constant state of stress, and The Firm is definitely geared more towards someone who is using yoga for fitness. The poses are difficult even though it's a beginners dvd, and I didn't feel at all relaxed when I was finished.

    ReplyDelete